I have long admired string quilts for their look and for their clever way at using up scraps. I have long intended to make one, but have yet to get around to it. So, I figured that this sampler quilt was a good opportunity for me to give string piecing a try. Who knows – maybe it will lead to an actual string quilt in the future.
I started out simple, with some squares:
Then, I wanted a hexagon, but I had to make it wonky to get it to fit into the square the way I wanted. I had to make templates for this and do math. I’m sure there is an easier way, but I haven’t found it. Anyway, I like the way this one turned out.
Last, I decided to go back to the curved piecing. Trying to get the pieces to lay flat with all of those little strips in play was definitely tricky, but it worked.